Tuesday 12 June 2012

Homemade Tortillas

I.am. awesome....seriously.awesome


I'm not normally a toot my own horn kind of gal but in this situation I am blowing an ENTIRE BRASS SECTION! 
I made my own corn tortillas. That's right. You did hear me. HOMEMADE TORTILLAS. And they were easy and amazing. 


Let me take you on a journey. (again, sorry about the quality of photographs. I'm changing the name of this blog to girl with a camera-phone because she's lost her charger to her real camera).


You will need some Masa Harina (basically coarse ground corn). This is hard to get in the UK but you can find it on amazon. For the US folk, all you need is a well stocked grocery store. 


It's about 2 cups flour to 1.5-2 cups water plus a massive pinch of salt. Kneed it together until it forms a springy not sticky dough. Leave for an hour. 


Once it's ready tear off 2in balls and place it between two pieces of cling film (if you have a shmansy pants tortilla press- this is the time to get it out!). At this point you can either smoosh the ball down with you hands or use a rolling pin. I used the latter. 
Flatten the ball so that the dough is about 1cm ish thick and then place it in a NON oiled hot skillet (I learnt the hard way- if you have used oil then you basically are making tortilla chips, still delicious, but not what I wanted at that moment). 



Let it cook for about 1 min on one side and then flip it for 15 secs before taking it off the heat). It's nice to get some charred bits on the tortilla. Adds flavor! 



Keep going till you get a nice stack going. You can keep them in an air tight container in the fridge for probably a little under a week. 


I topped them with pickled red onions (water, malt vinegar, salt and sugar), chicken, Pico de Gallo and feta cheese.


I can't recommend homemade tortillas enough. Really fun and easy to make and very rewarding. Let me know how yours goes!


Amy xx

1 comment: